Skip to main content

The Minimum Effective Dose and Manual Therapy


he phrase minimum effective dose has become popularized by Tim Ferriss in his book The Four Hour Body (recommended read). Tim's definition of the minimum effective dose is - the smallest dose that will produce the desired effect or outcome. I liken the phrase to a biohack, although the minimum effective dose must be effective (the word is in the phrase!) whereas, a biohack is a supposed time saver that more often than not, doesn't yield the desired results.

Translating the minimum effective dose to manual therapy is quite simple from the practitioner's standpoint, but often baffling to patients. I'll explain...

In my humble manual therapist opinion, it is my job to decipher what is causing the musculoskeletal disorder. Duh right? But really, I seek to get passed the smoke and mirrors that your movement and postural compensations present clinically, and delve deep into the root cause of your problem. Once I have effectively done that, I plan my management of the complaint in stages. After I have procured my clinical experience and my knowledge of the recent literature, I proceed with what I assume is the minimum effective dose.

You see if I have done my due diligence, and cornered your complaint to a specific cause, it really shouldn't take much to return you to your normal function (barring any co-morbidities or other complications). So why throw the proverbial manual therapy gambit at you? Why apply 4 modalities, manipulate and myofascial release?

My treatment style is based upon the body's ability to heal itself. The less I do the better. With that, I see myself as more of a Sherpa along your musculoskeletal health journey rather than a magician. I simply guide you to the top of your health Everest (I couldn't resist)

Now, let's get away from the corny analogies.

As a patient paying for a service, the minimum effective dose can understandably be viewed completely different. Perhaps you didn't get your monies worth?

To combat this, I ensure that my thought process is transparent and constantly communicated to the patient (sometimes to a nauseating degree). The main theme being that I want you to get better, and I want to know how you got better. Gaining this kind of knowledge is significant for all parties involved. I can file your complaint in my clinical experience and you can remember what worked for you if this sort of complaint ever rears its ugly head again.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that the use of modalities is unnecessary. There are many clinical presentations that are best treated via laser,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Physical Therapists and Athletic Trainers Treat Back Strains

e of the medical complaints doctors hear about the most are back strain injuries. This happens to athletes and non-athletes all the time. 25% of all adults have experienced lower back pain at some point in their lives and chances are you could be one of those people. Medical professionals such as physical therapists and athletic trainers handle back strain treatment on a regular basis. Since this is a regular thing they deal with, then why not take advantage of their knowledge to aid in reducing your back pain and discomfort. Before moving forward with the advice below, it is always wise to seek your doctor's opinion so you can be properly diagnosed and then correctly treated. Back Strain Treatment Common treatment from physical therapist and athletic trainers that athletes use to treat back strains: 1. Anti-inflammatory: After straining your back, it is a good idea to take some anti-inflammatory medication to reduce swelling and to control any pain associated with the inj...

How to Treat the Pain Associated With Plantar Fasciitis

lantar fasciitis is a painful condition caused by inflammation of the thick, fibrous band of tissue (''fascia'') that reaches from the heel to the toes. This fascia is responsible for supporting the muscles and arch of the foot. The plantar fascia is made of three distinct parts: medial, central, and lateral bands. The central band is the thickest and strongest and is most likely involved in plantar fasciitis pain. Tiny tears are created on the surface of the fascia when it's stretched too far causing inflammation and pain. In addition to inflammation and pain, the stress on the muscles and ligaments from plantar fasciitis can cause heel spurs. There isn't a single treatment for plantar fasciitis, but physical therapy utilizes several tools which can alleviate the pain and inflammation. Plantar Fasciitis accounts for about 10% of runner related injuries and is more likely to affect women than men. Because of the high incidence rate of plantar fasciitis in run...

Spinal Decompression: Vastly Effective for Healing a Host of Conditions and Disorders

pinal decompression is one of the most successful treatments for anyone suffering from back ache, especially lower back pain. This is administered by the use of traction, wherein the decompression occurs resulting from the force applied. The decompression therapy has been used for centuries by chiropractors and practitioners of medicine. Traction could be provided manually, by using a mechanical decompression unit or through some easy to use traction devices. What is decompression? Decompression therapy is a form of physical therapy, and is particularly effective for relief from backache. The underlying science behind spinal decompression is creating more space between adjoining vertebrae, to correspondingly overcome any underlying conditions like a pinched nerve in the back. Vertebrae are round bones through which the spine threads down, and while in our lower back, there are five vertebrae, in the neck, there are seven. When force is externally applied on the vertebrae by pr...